Magic: The Gathering

Contact your Multiworld friends around the world.

Moderator: 1WingedAngel

Crow

Magic: The Gathering

Post by Crow »

I am sure many of you played a bit of Mtg in the past, maybe some of you still do. While this topic is created in order to discuss anything related to the best TCG ever I would like to start with card request :D.

I am looking for a card from Portal Three Kingdoms - Loyal Retainers (eng). The set is quite old and was released mostly in Asian languages, but maybe some of you have it in your collections or know someone who could sell it for a reasonable price?

No, I am not interested in the 150 USD one on ebay, thx.

I am also looking for some Bayous and Savannahs but only if someone is willing to sell them under market value.
Crow

Re: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Crow »

Still looking for the card, but let me post some MTG news. Yestarday possibly the most influential and important Legacy board - the Source - has announced the newest Deck To Beat ranking. Decks to beat are chosen based on archetype performance in biggest tournaments held last few months. It also includes 'decks to watch' - decks, which are performing well in the metagame, but have not yet seen as much success as DTBs. Lets take a quick look at DTBs and DTWs :

DTB:
- CounterTop
- Merfolk
- Tempo Thresh
- ANT
- Zoo

DTW:
- Dredge
- Goblins
- Survival
- Aggro Loam

The DTB section didn't see much change since last ranking. CoutnerTop, or should I say all CounterTop variants ranging from bant cbt to supreme blue, are still tier 1 choices. Their counter-deck, Merfolk, is remaining on top as well. Tempo thresh is one of the oldest archetypes, present in Legacy since it was separated as a format on its own. Storm combo is still beyond reach of many decks and Zoo remains powerful as well.

We can see more changes in the DTW selection. Goblins has decreased in popularity as it was a DTB for a long time. Maybe little green (red) guys need some time to catch breath. Other new DTWs are new in the ranking. Ichorids, which always were just under the line finally made the cut. Aggro Loam and Survival jump in and out of dtb/dtw selection, but have not been there for last half a year.

The biggest absence is Landstill. After long years of being tier1 deck, Landstill has dropped in popularity and didn't meet the conditions to even become DTW. Probably most control players switched to CB-T decks, but chances are that Landstill will be back.

You can find more information and numbers in the following thread:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/foru ... Beat-Forum
Farmazon

Re: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Farmazon »

That's an amazing article! One of the best comprehensive guides I've seen in my life. Stephen Menendian did one hell of a good job!

For me it's hard to accept that Goblins fell out of DTB. I was always fond of this deck, mainly because of it's speed and mana denial abilities. I sure hope that Wizards will think of something to boost the archetype and I'll be able to rock this old coffin once more on any Legacy tournament.

Meanwhile, as I'm working hard to update my 37lands deck with newest cards from Worldwake I will be also trying out this (almost) landless Pitch deck #51. It's hilarious. Can you imagine? Spells with 8-10 mana cost and no lands? That's crazy! Had to download image crops from Coldsnap especially for this baby. Up til now I haven't realized there were so many cards with alternative casting costs in Coldsnap! Take care and see you soon on Mwsplay.
Musi być stąd jakieś wyjście. - Powiedział Błazen do Złodzieja. - Jest za duże zamieszanie. Nie mogę znaleźć ukojenia.