World of Warcraft - Cataclysm

Contact your Multiworld friends around the world.

Moderator: 1WingedAngel

argenteo

World of Warcraft - Cataclysm

Post by argenteo »

It got announced today at Blizzcon.

World of Warcraft - The Cataclysm/The great sundering.

Expansion Pack #3

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/

LORE -
The evil Deathwing have risen once again. And this time he's serious.
Azeroth have fallen into great catastrophy, and Horde and Alliance now fights to controll the small amount of recourses that remains.

Info -
Eastern kingdoms + Kalimdor are completely remade after the cataclysm.
And most instances/raids are also remade + alot of new instances and raids.

Two new races - Goblin(Horde) And Worgen(Alliance)
Instead of new classes so have they implented that some races have learned the nature of other classes, Like for example:
-Dwarf shamans
-Human/Undead hunters
-Blood elf warriors
-Tauren Paladin
-Gnome priest.
etc. etc
░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
Debart

Re: World of Warcraft - Cataclysm

Post by Debart »

Nothing like "let's make an addon just to make one". Well come on! What the hell are those races? Moreover, how will playing them differ in any way from playing the other ones?

I believe wow maniacs won't be happy about the class mix-up as well. I remember people being really unpleased with palladins among the horde after the burning crusade...

Azeroth redo? Cool idea, let's see where it leads.

Quo Vadis Blizzard?
GvS

Post by GvS »

Blizzard had once "By gamers for gamers" motto, now it should be "By marketing for casuals".
A necromancer is just a really late healer.
Maczer

Post by Maczer »

-Tauren Paladin
Cataclysm indeed =]
Dalej sie uciec chyba nie dalo. Ale to i tak nie pomoglo =]
1WingedAngel

Post by 1WingedAngel »

Yeah, some friends and I bought a ticket to watch the live stream of Blizzcon, had a party, LANed up Starcraft Tournaments and Diablo 2 while watching the convention.. had some good times.

Some of the changes to WoW seem quite interesting, and address some minor annoyances lots of people have voiced.. and I used to get annoyed since they made WoW so easy (able to get 2 pieces of Tier 8.5 gear in the 2 days after you hit 80 with not too much trouble, etc.) but as someone who is in their last semesters of school who can play only a few hours a week (when I'm lucky) I've started to appreciate that more.. though I suppose it is still a bit too easy. And changing the landscape gives people like me the ability to re-roll new classes and not get bored re-doing the same quests I've done 4-5 times before.

As for lore.. I dunno, some of the changes don't make too much sense, and they often mentioned that, but they were trying to bend that a bit to make it more fun, which is acceptable. Also, guild leveling seems interesting.
Name: Michael
EU WoW: Kartekk (Outlands)
US WoW: Kartekk (Tichondrius)
Distant
Demokratyczny Moderator

Post by Distant »

Come on.... hunters becoming new ranged rogues and they are redoing talents and itemization completely. So all "boring" talents like "+ 1 % dmg to fireballs" is scrapped and you get mastery. Sth like put 50 talent points in fire tree and you get 50 * x % Bonus connected with this tree. According to Blizzard this will encourage to take "fun" talents above obligatory,but honestly who believes that? So we will probably switch from obligatory talents to obligatory trees as the one tree will give better mastery bonuses then the others. Unfotunately I know well what Blizzard mean by fun. It's like taking stun of Impact talent (that did % chance stun on recieving damage) and placing it on fireblast use which is very highly situational and unpractical to watch. Same with itemization. Now everynoob and his mum will know which item is better for him. 55 int or 60 int? well that's simple. It will also prevent people from stacking some of secondary stats above others. Like having crit-gear or haste-gear etc.

Yes, Im QQing one year before the expansion but I see clearly where it goes. Game becomes more and more casual.
Nothing is impossible
1WingedAngel

Post by 1WingedAngel »

Anyone else think of RO when they mentioned guild leveling trees? (especially the "teleport all guildies to you" skill) =P
Name: Michael
EU WoW: Kartekk (Outlands)
US WoW: Kartekk (Tichondrius)
Crow

Post by Crow »

GvS wrote:Blizzard had once "By gamers for gamers" motto, now it should be "By marketing for casuals".
A recent quote from WoW dev:
As far as wands go, we definitely do not want to give them to casters at level 1. Wands play a very different role for casters than melee weapons do for melee classes. They're generally used as mana conservation DPS. We are removing the Attack button from level 1 casters' action bars specifically so new players aren't inclined to walk around trying to melee foes without learning the way the spells available to them function. Giving them a wand and placing the Shoot icon on the action bar would lead to the same issue for players new to the game rolling casters. They might be inclined to run around using their wands rather than learning their class spells.
Think this describes their target audience well. FAIL.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Is it really "making a game to easy", or more like "we are loosing the feeling of egotical elitarism"?

"Gamers for gamers" was a really good marketing phrase back in the days, when only gamers were crazy enough to spent a lot of cash on hardware and games.
Distant
Demokratyczny Moderator

Post by Distant »

Raven wrote:Is it really "making a game to easy", or more like "we are loosing the feeling of egotical elitarism"?

"Gamers for gamers" was a really good marketing phrase back in the days, when only gamers were crazy enough to spent a lot of cash on hardware and games.
Yes, it is, because game looses important factor of achievement. This is Massive Multiplayer game. This means you compete with other humans in all aspects of the game. Showing off your gear, trolling scrubs with your 2500 arena rating or sitting on that rare phoenix mount at the center of Shat - all of that was part of the game. As in every game some unique people win most other people loose. When everyone and his mum win, game is not game anymore. It become more like interactive movie or second work if you grind your gear, mats, rating, whatvever.

Also you correctly identified the reason for those changes. It's about money, not about making best game ever as Blizzard used to do before. Casual players are bigger group than hardcore ones.
Nothing is impossible